Railway Equipment Testing Services
In the railway industry, safety of electronics systems is a priority requirement. They must be tested to comply with the industry standards for hardware and software which include, among others, rolling stock equipment as well as fixed installation and signalling equipment.
Rolling stock equipment
EN 50155 is the international standard which applies to all electronic equipment for control, regulation, protection, supply, etc., installed on rail vehicles.
Equipment under the scope of EN 50155 includes communication and signalling devices, passenger display, train control and fire control systems, etc.
Testing in accordance with EN 50155 includes performance, electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), electric tests, climatic tests, vibration and shock.
Equipment for signalling and telecommunications
EN 50125-3 standard specifies the environmental conditions for signalling and telecommunications equipment.
Equipment intended for use on railway vehicles should not emit unwanted electromagnetic disturbances that may interfere with other devices and it must perform reliably while subject to disturbances encountered in the railway environment.
The EN 50155 test requirements includes Radio frequency interference susceptibility test and emission test. It references the EN 50121-3-2 standard for the requirements and testing procedures
For signalling and telecommunications equipment, the EN 50121-4 standard should be used.
Vibration, Shock and Bump Testing
Rolling stock equipment is exposed to continuous vibration and shock in a very harsh environment that may jeopardize the reliable functioning.
The EN 61373 specifies mechanical tests indicated in the EN 50155 standard.
Equipment installed in railway vehicles or infrastructure may be exposed to extreme temperature conditions, high humidity, a salt-laden atmosphere and ingress of dust and fluids.
The EN 50155 specifies a range of tests which are designed to check whether proper functionality is affected by the harsh conditions to which the equipment is exposed.
Alter Technology as a quality driven provider of engineering and test services within harsh environment markets, provides comprehensive testing services for railway electronics systems.
- Vibration and Shock testing
- Climatic testing
- Cooling test
- Low temperature storage test
- Dry heat test
- Damp heat
- Salt mist test
- Supply overvoltage, surges and electrostatic discharge test
- Transients burst susceptibility test
- Radio-interference emission, radiated and conducted
- Radio-interference susceptibility, radiated and conducted
- Electrical testing
- Insulation test
- Voltage withstand test
- Safety testing
- Water and dust tightness test
Based on the railway standards: EN 50126, EN 50128 and EN 50129..
One-stop shop service: our complete range of facilities and experienced engineers allow us to carry out the complete range of railway-related tests in a single test laboratory.
– Independence and neutrality
– Alter Technology is an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory for EMC, electrical, climatic and vibration testing ( ENAC accreditation numbers 345/LE808)
– Alter Technology is notified body for the EMC Directive 2014/30/EU and RED Directive 2014/53/EU
Why not contact us?
- Intrusion and Hold-Up Alarm Systems (I&HAS) and Fire Control Systems - 10th December 2015
- Railway Equipment Testing Services (rolling stock, signalling and telecommunication) - 9th May 2015
- Radiated RF Electromagnetic Field Immunity Test - 9th May 2015