Evaluation and Qualification of Fibre Pigtailed Lasers for ESA’s SMOS Mission
- MOHA in SMOS
- COTS Fibre Optic Components in SMOS
- Qualification Approach
- Strategy for SMOS/MOHA
- Project qualification tests (main results)
- External visual: tack weld cracks
- Retention tests
- Proton radiation
- Dew point test
- Electro-optical measurements: comparison of measurements at the fibre optical end and at the photodiode.
- Lessons Learned and Issues
SMOS Mission (Soil Moisture and Ocean Salinity).
Payload Module: Microwave Imaging Radiometer with Microwave Imaging Radiometer with Aperture Synthesis (MIRAS).
MOHA (MIRAS Optical Harness): Connects antennas with the control and correlator unit via a custom optical bus.